The first Church in Sutherland was commenced by the laying of a foundation stone of the Evangelical Jubilee Church on the south-western corner of Robertson and Oxford Streets on Saturday August 20th 1887. This incomplete building was acquired by the Congregational Union of NSW in May 1888.
Sutherland Uniting Church came in to being when the members of the Sutherland Congregational and Methodist Churches came together on Christmas Day 1975 in anticipation of the official inauguration of the Uniting Church in Australia (UCA), which occurred on June 22nd, 1977. At this time some local Presbyterians also chose to join. One should understand that the UCA was formed by members of the three denominations voting on acceptance of a document, known as ‘The Basis of Union’, the Methodists voted nationally with the result that the Methodist Church in Australia ceased to exist, while the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches’ votes were congregation by congregation and individual decision resulting in continuing congregations still exiting in both churches to this day.
At the time of Union the parish included Churches at Sutherland, Loftus, Kirrawee, Woronora and Menai, Kirrawee ceased to exist almost immediately while the Woronora congregation remained until the early 1980s. In the 1990s with the support of UCA NSW Synod the Menai congregation became the Menai-Illawong parish based at Illawong and in the 2000s UCA governance saw Loftus become an individual parish though they still share a minister with Sutherland.
In the 1990s the Sutherland congregation redeveloped their site to include a multi purpose Auditorium in conjunction with the SSC heritage listed buildings of the previous Sutherland Methodist Church and Family Hall. It is in this Auditorium and the Church that our Sunday worship services are held, while our JAFFA(Jesus a Friend for All) Club for pre-school and primary age children meets, during the Family (9.30am) Service, in the Family Hall.
Over the years many church members have entered the Christian ministry, while others have become involved in mission both locally, in other parts of Australia and overseas.